Wednesday, February 23, 2005

YeShakingKing.

Yikes, it's been quite a while since I updated this... Unfortunately something happened with the server space that I had been storing mp3s on, which put me into a deep funk, because I wasn't going to be able to have any Daddy's Hands songs for you guys, or anybody else's songs, for that matter.

Duchess Says who systematically destroyed every other band at last Saturday's bill, including (in my opinion) New York's Japanther, return to the stage tonight to perform with Memphis' Lost Sounds. I recall picking up their album Black Wave out of curiousity in a bargain bin a couple of years ago in Victoria, and it was nothing if not embarassing and rightly relegated to the bargain bin, but perhaps they've improved (they did put out a split with The Vanishing)...
Duchess Says, Lost Sounds and Moustache at The Toc Toc, 6091 Ave. du Parc. Doors @ 9pm.

Alright, I downloaded the Johnny Boy single You Are The Generation That Bought More Shoes and You Get What You Deserve off of another mp3 blog a while back, and despite the uncomfortable similarities between Johnny Boy's and U2's schlocky basslines, and the weird feeling that I get that if they ever manage to get over here they're going to be about as successful as Chumbawamba... Yes, despite all that, I'm really enjoying it - it's a pretty good morning song, damned epic enough not to bring you down but layered with enough studio trickery to keep you interested... It slipped into Pitchfork's top 100 singles of 2000-2004 at #95.

Johnny Boy - You Are The Generation... (XFM Version).mp3

Above is a low quality version of the single that Johnny Boy recorded at the British radio station XFM...

Ahhhh yes, I've just recalled that I initially downloaded that song off of Fluxblog, and it's still up there, so I'd recommend downloading it...

No comments: